Monday, August 6, 2012

You're It!

Today we hiked to and toured Timpanogos Cave with all the orphans.  The hike was hard and it was hot.  Alina was not happy going up the hill, but she kept going and made it just fine.  Albina and her two friends (Maria & Sergei) were so very slow (going both up and down).  But they made it as well.  The cave was very cool, but the kids didn’t really know what was going on since there wasn’t an interpreter and the tour guide (obviously) didn’t speak Russian.  Oh well.

Once we got home from the cave, the girls decided to paint.  They got out the paints and a big roll of butcher paper.  I ran some errands while they were enjoying their activity.  When I got home I went and spoke to James for a bit.  I shared with him my concern with how the girls would feel about joining our family.  I am really feeling so sensitive to how this will affect them.  I realize that we have so much to offer them and that coming to our family will allow them the opportunity to have a happy future, but I also know that leaving what they are accustomed to calling home will still be very difficult.  After I shared my concerns with James, he smiled and looked at me and said, "You need to go upstairs and see the pictures that Albina and Alina painted this afternoon.  This is what I found:

Painting by Albina

Painting by Alina
Apparently Albina started the theme by painting "My Happy Family" at the top of her paper.  Everyone else loved her idea and created their own version.

These are the other paintings I found:

Painting by Micah

Painting by Isabel

Painting by Emma
Later we had dinner and Tori gave the family home evening lesson.  After family home evening we went to McDonald’s for ice cream.  While we were there we went to the playplace.  The kids and James started a game of tag.  It was quite entertaining to watch them.  They had a fun time (and all ended up stinky and sweaty).

After McDonald's Tag we took everyone home, kids took baths and then we played UNO before sending everyone to bed.  It was a good and happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment